Looking for a good Python environment

cokofreedom at gmail.com cokofreedom at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 05:17:09 EST 2007

On Nov 13, 10:56 am, bramble <cadet.bram... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 10, 4:48 am, Paul Rudin <paul.nos... at rudin.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > jwelby <julius.we... at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > > The main reason I have used Eclipse for larger, team based, projects
> > > is for the source control plug-ins. Eclipse has plug-in support for
> > > cvs and svn. PyScripter may have this too - perhaps I've missed it.
> > > (I'm away from my Windows box at the moment, otherwise I would check).
> > > Of course, there are other ways to implement source control without it
> > > needing to be integrated in the IDE, so even this need not put off
> > > anyone who wants to use PyScripter with source control.
>
> > > [snip]
>
> > I'm not sure if you count emacs as "lightweight" but it's certainly
> > less resource hungry than eclipse/pydev, and does have integrated
> > cvs/svn functionality.
>
> I've never understood the desire for using your version control
> software via your IDE. Why not just Alt-Tab over to your terminal
> window and run the svn/bzr/hg/git/whatever commands yourself right
> from there?

Because it saves you from having to do this. Some people prefer all
their commands in one place. And GUI wise it is often easier to click
the button showing all previouis versions, or comparing two of them
visually. I use Eclipse with ClearCase and it saves me a great deal of
trouble when dealing with 100+ files...