logging and propagation

oj ojeeves at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 06:38:32 EST 2007

Hi,

I want to setup logging with two loggers:

The child logger is used when something different needs to be done
with the log record, and the log record will propagate and be logged
by the root logger as usual.

However, there are certain times when I don't want a log record to
propagate from the child to the parent.

I don't really want to add a filter to the root logger, as it should
be up to the child whether the record propagates or not.

I've tried setting the child to a lower level then the parent, but if
a record is dealt with by the child, the parent deals with it anyway
regardless of its own log level.

Also, filters only apply particular handlers and do not affect
propagation.

Can anyone suggest a simple way to achieve this?

Currently, the only thing I can think of, is overriding the
callHandlers method in a custom Logger class.