Populating a dictionary, fast [SOLVED SOLVED]

Aaron Watters aaron.watters at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 09:40:14 EST 2007

On Nov 14, 6:26 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> >> Someone please summarize.
>
> > Yes, that would be good.
>
> On systems with multiple CPUs or 64-bit systems, or both, creating and/or
> deleting a multi-megabyte dictionary in recent versions of Python (2.3,
> 2.4, 2.5 at least) takes a LONG time, of the order of 30+ minutes,
> compared to seconds if the system only has a single CPU. Turning garbage
> collection off doesn't help.
>
> --
> Steven.

criminy... Any root cause?  patch?

btw, I think I've seen this, but I think you need
to get into 10s of megs or more before it becomes
critical.

Note: I know someone will say "don't scare off the newbies"
but in my experience most Python programmers are highly
experienced professionals who need to know this sort of thing.
The bulk of the newbies are either off in VB land
or struggling with java.

  -- Aaron Watters

===
http://www.xfeedme.com/nucular/pydistro.py/go?FREETEXT=silly+walk