How to Teach Python "Variables"

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Sun Nov 25 17:36:33 EST 2007

none <""atavory\"@(none)"> writes:

> IIRC, I once saw an explanation how Python doesn't have "variables"
> in the sense that, say, C does, and instead has bindings from names
> to objects. Does anyone have a link?

In addition to the good answers you've had already, I highly recommend
David Goodger's "Code like a Pythonista" page
<URL:http://python.net/~goodger/projects/pycon/2007/idiomatic/handout.html>,
which contains a very good "cardboard boxes versus paper tags" analogy
of the topic you're asking about.

--
 \      "My roommate got a pet elephant. Then it got lost. It's in the |
  `\                           apartment somewhere."  -- Steven Wright |