How do I get the PC's Processor speed?

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 14:18:57 EST 2007

Hi,

We use a script here at work that runs whenever someone logs into
their machine that logs various bits of information to a database. One
of those bits is the CPU's model and speed. While this works in 95% of
the time, we have some fringe cases where the only thing returned is
the processor name. We use this data to help us decide which PCs need
to be updated, so it would be nice to have the processor speed in all
cases.

Currently, this script is run on Windows boxes only, most of which
have Windows XP on them. Right now I am having Python check the
following registry key for the CPU info: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\
\DESCRIPTION\\System\\CentralProcessor\\0

I've also used Tim Golden's WMI module like so:

<code>

import wmi
c = wmi.WMI()
for i in c.Win32_Processor ():
    cputype = i.Name

</code>

On the problem PCs, both of these methods give me the same information
(i.e. only the processor name). However, if I go to "System
Properties" and look at the "General" tab, it lists the CPU name and
processor speed. Does anyone else know of another way to get at this
information?

Thanks!

Mike