Assertion for python scripts

Matt McCredie mccredie at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 15:12:54 EDT 2007

On 11/2/07, matthias <matthiasblankenhaus at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Howdy !
>
> I started using the assert() stmt and found it quite useful :-)  I
> have only one problem:  I don't
> know how to turn them off again.
>
> I know that "-O" turns off assertions in general.  However, how do I
> pass thus parameter to
> python to an executable script ?
>
> I have tried the following:
>
> 1.
> !#/usr/bin/env python -O
>
> -> Fails with this msg: /usr/bin/env: python -O: No such file or
> directory
>
> Also, putting it in quotes won't do it.
>
> 2.
> Passing the "-O" to the runnable script won't work either.
>

> Here is my question:  How do I maintain debug / release builds that
> allow me to switch
> debug stmts, like assert, on / off ?
>
> Thanx,
> Matthias

Use:
python -O -mcompileall path

That command will compile all of the files in the given path and
produce .pyo files. If the .pyo file is present and up-to-date it will
be used instead of the .py file.

Alternatively you could do this:

python -O -mpy_compile somefile.py

which can be used to compile one file at a time.

Many Python programs and modules include a compile step as part of
their installation process. There is also a -OO option, which will
strip doc-strings as well.

Matt