Python too complex ?!?!?!

sjdevnull at yahoo.com sjdevnull at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 20 19:08:14 EST 2007

On Nov 20, 5:01 pm, "Patrick Mullen" <saluk64... at gmail.com> wrote:
> (Oops, sent as private, reposting to list)
>
> On Nov 20, 2007 12:36 PM, sjdevn... at yahoo.com <sjdevn... at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > FWIW it's trivial to run pyflakes on your code (automatically behind
> > the scenes) to get syntax checking; in vim, my syntax errors get
> > underlined immediately for python code.  It's especially nice for
> > large web applications, where having to go reload a page only to
> > discover you typed "if a=1:" or some silliness actually takes some
> > amount of time.
>
> > I also get function prototypes on the status line (so, e.g., the
> > elsethread example of confusing list.extend and list.append is
> > mitigated to a large degree).
>
> > Dynamic typing loses some info, but you can get most of the big
> > benefits with it.
>
> > --
>
> That sounds really cool.  What do I have to do to set up vim so it
> does that for me?

I'm leaving for the holidays in 5 minutes, I'll post my configs when I
return (Monday-ish).  Feel free to email me a reminder on Monday...

The basic concept should work fine in emacs, but the glue would need
someone to implement it (my grand scheme plan is to do it over with
the NetBeans integration interface so that vim/xemacs/whatever would
pick it up okay, but I'm not sure if that API is featureful enough).