Trouble building pywin32 with Visual Studio 2005

danfike at gmail.com danfike at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 13:17:25 EST 2007

> > If you know what you are doing, you can override the logic of distutils.
> > Set up an SDK environment (with LIBRARY, INCLUDE and everything), then
> > also set the MSSdk environment variable (which should get set if you
> > use the standard environment batch file from the SDK), and then also
> > set DISTUTILS_USE_SDK. Then distutils will trust that the environment
> > you set up works correctly, and will use it without further questioning.
>
> I'll see if I can get that working. During my internet searches, I
> came across a mail/post/blog or two indicating DISTUTILS_USE_SDK does
> not work in Visual Studio 2005. I'll see what I can do.

I didn't have much luck with this. It looks like my solution is going
to be to just ignore this problem for now. In most cases, the binary
modules one downloads are written well enough that these DLLs aren't
going to step on eachother's toes. In fact, I haven't found a function
aside from win32com.server.register.RegisterClasses which has the same
problem. Now, if everybody moves to VS2008 for Python 3000, this
problem would work itself out. :)

Thanks for your help, Martin.

-Dan