Installing Python 3000 on Leopard (Mac OS) fails...

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Nov 26 23:17:54 EST 2007

> gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-
> madd -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes  -I. -I./Include   -
> DPy_BUILD_CORE  -c ./Modules/posixmodule.c -o Modules/posixmodule.o
> ./Modules/posixmodule.c: In function 'posix_setpgrp':
> ./Modules/posixmodule.c:3769: error: too few arguments to function
> 'setpgrp'
> make: *** [Modules/posixmodule.o] Error 1
>
> Any suggestions?

This is a known bug:

http://bugs.python.org/issue1358

Apparently, Apple has managed to change the header files of Leopard
in a way that breaks building Python, and also managed to break
the autoconf procedure that was designed to deal with the uncertainty
of the setpgrp declaration.

An expert of OSX will need to look into this and propose a solution;
if you think you need to get this working, just remove setpgrp from
posixmodule.

Regards,
Martin