Installing Python 3000 on Leopard (Mac OS) fails...

Robin Kåveland Hansen kaaveland at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 21:48:30 EST 2007

"=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9?=" <andre.roberge at gmail.com> wrote (Mon, 26 Nov
2007 17:59:21 -0800):

> While I made some progress in trying to install Py3k from source (for
> the first time), it has failed...
>
> Here are the steps I went through (not necessarily in that order -
> except for those that matter).
>
> 1. After installing Leopard, install Xcode tools from the dvd - even
> if you had done so with a previous version (they need to be updated -
> trust me :-)
>
> 2. Download Python 3.0a1
>
> 3.  Unpack the archive.
>
> 4. Go to  /usr/local and make a directory "sudo mkdir py3k"   (This is
> probably not needed, but that's what I did).
>
> 5. From the directory where the Python 3.0a1 was unpacked run
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/py3k
>
> 6. run "make"
>
> This last step failed with the following error message:
>
> gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-
> madd -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes  -I. -I./Include   -
> DPy_BUILD_CORE  -c ./Modules/posixmodule.c -o Modules/posixmodule.o
> ./Modules/posixmodule.c: In function 'posix_setpgrp':
> ./Modules/posixmodule.c:3769: error: too few arguments to function
> 'setpgrp'
> make: *** [Modules/posixmodule.o] Error 1
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> André

The posix-man-page on setpgrp declares the setpgrp prototype as pid_t
setpgrp(void);, which makes this sort of weird I guess.

You could check if it worked to change the relevant function call from
setpgrp() to setpgrp(0, 0)? Just search for posix_setpgrp, and make sure
that the function isn't called with an empty argument list.

Though I believe this is something for the core python developers and not
for me to fix, or even advice in, so if you want to be on the safe side to
ensure no breakage, don't touch it on my advice.

--
regards,
Robin