c[:]()

Warren Stringer warren at muse.com
Thu May 31 21:39:06 EDT 2007

> > What?!? I started this thread.
> >
> No you didn't. Your original post was a reply to a message whose subject
> line was 'Re: "is" and ==', and included the header

You're right, thanks.

> >> I think the fundamental mistake you have made is to convince yourself
> that
> >>
> >>      c[:]()
> >>
> >> is legal Python. It isn't, it never has been.

In my opinion, it is better to ask me directly what I think than to assume
what I am thinking. Describing a situation in second person -- using "you"
-- tends to have more interpretation than fact. When the interpretation is
wrong, the person who is at the receiving end of that "you" may be compelled
to reply. Sometimes that correction includes another "you"; interpretation
spawns interpretation -- soon, facts are replaced by projectiles.

> > In summation:
> > 	I started this thread asking why c[:]() wouldn't work
> > 	I did not hijack another thread
> > 	I posted working examples (with one typo, not quoted here)
> > 	I am extremely annoyed by this post
> >
> > Tis best not to assume what other people are thinking
> >
> Probably best not to try to help them too, if this is the response.

I do appreciate your help. Responding on topic helps. Negative feedback
regarding typos helps. And, your statement:

	> Perhaps you didn't express yourself too clearly.

makes me feel all warm and fuzzy like ... why thank you!

> Next
> time you want assistance try to ensure that you copy and paste your
> examples instead of trying to duplicate them from memory.

Agreed. Fortunately, others got the gist of what I was saying.

Oddly enough, as annoying as it was, your post helped my form, while other
posters have helped my content. I bet you'd make a good editor.

Cheers,

\~/