PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

HYRY ruoyu0088 at gmail.com
Tue May 15 09:46:45 EDT 2007

> The other thing is trying to teach them formal operational logic when
> they are not yet ready for it. In that case it would be better to wait
> until they are ready, but unfortunately there are large variations in
> the age at which children become ready. Please do not confuse the two
> very different matters of language acquisition and formal operational
> logic. Language is learned at an early age while formal logic starts at
> about the age of eleven (but with very large variation among children).

I think programming language such as Logo, or project such as RUR-PLE
are used to teach children programming. So, I think there is no
problem to teach a 12 years old child for programming. The real
problem is they must remeber many English words before programming
logic, and it's not funny at all.

> Why not use IronPython? But anyway you are actually making things worse
> by *not* teaching them the language now that they will need later on and
> by *teaching* them formal operational logic at an age when they just get
> disappointed and frustrated by not yet being able to understand it.
> Better go easy on them and teach them lots of English computing terms
> and only introduce logic when they show they are ready.

IronPython is wonderful, I will search for some easy and powerful IDE
for it, and switch to IronPython. Learning English is an other
subject, my object is to teach them some basic programming logic, not
English, not even Python. I don't think English is the necessary
condition for formal operational logic.