PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Stefan Behnel stefan.behnel-n05pAM at web.de
Mon May 14 05:00:29 EDT 2007

Eric Brunel wrote:
> On Sun, 13 May 2007 21:10:46 +0200, Stefan Behnel
> <stefan.behnel-n05pAM at web.de> wrote:
> [snip]
>> Now, I am not a strong supporter (most public code will use English
>> identifiers anyway)
>
> How will you guarantee that? I'm quite convinced that most of the public
> code today started its life as private code earlier...

Ok, so we're back to my original example: the problem here is not the
non-ASCII encoding but the non-english identifiers.

If we move the problem to a pure unicode naming problem:

How likely is it that it's *you* (lacking a native, say, kanji keyboard) who
ends up with code that uses identifiers written in kanji? And that you are the
only person who is now left to do the switch to an ASCII transliteration?

Any chance there are still kanji-enabled programmes around that were not hit
by the bomb in this scenario? They might still be able to help you get the
code "public".

Stefan