trouble with wxPython intro

7stud bbxx789_05ss at yahoo.com
Thu May 31 03:56:01 EDT 2007

On May 30, 11:41 pm, Anthony Irwin <nos... at noemailhere.nowhere> wrote:
> Daniel Gee wrote:
> > I'm trying to learn WxPython with the tutorial:
> >http://wiki.wxpython.org/Getting_Started

I'm a wxPython beginner too, but instead of Anthony Irwin's
suggestions, I think you should delete these two lines:

ID_ABOUT=101
ID_EXIT=110

and use:

wx.ID_ABOUT
wx.ID_EXIT

throughout the body of your program.  As far as I can tell, there is
no reason for you to be manually setting your own id's (is there
ever?).  Instead, you can use the ids in the wx module.

In addition, I suggest you never use wx.PySimpleApp().  If you create
your own app class, you can send the error messages to the console.
Instead of always seeing a window that flashes at you briefly and
being left with no clue what went wrong, you can at least see an error
message and a line number in the console.  Here's how you would do
that:

-----------------
import wx

class MyFrame(wx.Frame):
    def __init__(self, mytitle):
        wx.Frame.__init__(self, None, title= mytitle)

class MyApp(wx.App):
    def __init__(self):
        wx.App.__init__(self, redirect=False)

app = MyApp()