python shell

Peter Anderson peter.anderson at internode.on.net
Sat May 19 22:03:17 EDT 2007

Krypto wrote:
> I have been using python shell to test small parts of the big program.
> What other ways can I use the shell effectively. My mentor told me
> that you can virtually do anything from testing your program to
> anything in the shell. Any incite would be useful.

I'm not sure this will help - but!

I use a text editor (EditPlus under Windows) as a mini IDE.  Some text
editors have a concept of "tools" where you can run the "tool" from
within the editor and it calls an external program to run the source
code in the editor.  With EditPlus the tool looks something like:

Menu text: Python
Command: C:\Python25\python.exe
Argument: "$(FileName)"
Initial directory: $(FileDir)
Capture output: [X]

Output from the program run is captured in an "output window".  A full
blown IDE it ain't but handy it is.

Regards,
Peter
--
Peter Anderson

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the
introduction of a new order of things — Niccolo Machiavelli, "The
Prince", ch. 6