PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Paul Rubin http
Fri May 18 03:02:52 EDT 2007

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:
> If you doubt the claim, please indicate which of these three aspects
> you doubt:
> 1. there are programmers which desire to defined classes and functions
>    with names in their native language.
> 2. those developers find the code clearer and more maintainable than
>    if they had to use English names.
> 3. code clarity and maintainability is important.

I think it can damage clarity and maintainability and if there's so
much demand for it then I'd propose this compromise: non-ascii
identifiers are allowed but they produce a compiler warning message
(including from eval and exec).  You can suppress the warning message
with a command line option.