Using python with MySQL

hlubenow hlubenow2 at gmx.net
Thu May 3 16:05:03 EDT 2007

HMS Surprise wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I need to peform some simple queries via MySQL. Searching the list I
> see that folks are accessing it with python. I am very new to python
> and pretty new to MySQL too. Would appreciate it if you could point me
> to some documentation for accessing MySQL via python. Something of the
> "Python and MySQL for Dummies" caliber would be about my speed, but of
> course I will be thankful for anything offered.
>
> Thanks,
>
> jvh

There's even another approach:
If you're on Linux, Qt3 may be available. Install its Python-bindings. Given
a database "MyDatabase", with password "MyPassword" for user "root" and
inside the database a table "MyTable", you can then do something like this:

#!/usr/bin/env python

from qt import *
import sys
from qtsql import QSqlDatabase, QSqlQuery

app = QApplication(sys.argv)

DB = QSqlDatabase("QMYSQL3", "MyDatabase", app)

DB.setDatabaseName("MyDatabase")
DB.setUserName("root")
DB.setPassword("MyPassword")
DB.setHostName("localhost")
DB.open()

c = DB.execStatement("select * from MyTable")

while c.next():
    print c.value(0).toString()
    print c.value(1).toString()
    print c.value(2).toString()
    print c.value(3).toString()
c.first()

c2 = DB.execStatement("select count(*) from MyTable")
c2.next()

print c2.value(0).toString()

Some further documentation:
http://www.arl.hpc.mil/ice/Manuals/PyQt/t1.html