how to use Dispatch to open an application in win32com.client

Peter Fischer peter_7003 at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 13:44:36 EDT 2007

Dear Python/DCOM experts,

  I just tried to do a remote dispatch of Google Earth in DCOM, but it didn't
  work:

  <code>

  import pythoncom, win32com.client

  clsctx=pythoncom.CLSCTX_LOCAL_SERVER

  i =  win32com.client.DispatchEx("GoogleEarth.ApplicationGE", "IAD-PC10",
  clsctx=clsctx)

  </code>

  Here is the error message I get:

  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File

  "Z:\Programming\Eclipse_3_2_2_Workspace\Pytest2\src\root\nested\example.py", line 5, in <module>
      i =  win32com.client.DispatchEx("GoogleEarth.ApplicationGE", "Remote_PC", clsctx=clsctx)
    File
  "Z:\Applications\Programming\Python25_win\Lib\site-packages\win32com\client\__in
  it__.py", line 112, in DispatchEx
      dispatch = pythoncom.CoCreateInstanceEx(clsid, None, clsctx, serverInfo,
  (pythoncom.IID_IDispatch,))[0]
  pywintypes.com_error: (-2147023174, 'The RPC server is not available.', None,
  None)

  Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I read in Mark Hammonds book  'Python Programming on Win32' and suspect that the clsctx parameter  must be
  something like CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER instead the LOCAL variant above,
  but I am not sure.
  Furthermore the dcomcnfg tool seems to have changed and crashes when I
  select 'component Services' in the tree to the left and then 'Computer'. The book
  is from year 2000 and therefore is not for Windows XP, but I use Windows XP
  Professional. Do I still have to use dcomcnfg to activate and configure DCOM
  on the serving machine where I want to start Google Earth?
  If anyone could tell me how to start Google Earth remotely using python and
  DCOM that would be awesome!

  Best regards,

  Peter.