Uninstall speed with Python 2.4 MSI

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat May 19 03:34:09 EDT 2007

David Bolen wrote:
> I'm in the process of uninstalling 2.4a2 to install 2.4a3 and the
> uninstall is running absolutely dog slow and burning 100% cpu while
> doing it (all going to mshta.exe).  Watching the progress bar it
> almost seems to be doing a whole bunch of operations per file or
> something.

Indeed it does. MSI is transactional, meaning that everything is
reverted if the operation fails (e.g. through user cancel). When
overwriting or deleting files, this means installer needs to move
the old file out of the way. Then, when the action is committed,
the file can be deleted. Therefore, during uninstall, you see two
actions: first, it says that it removes files, then, it says that
it removes backup files.

Regards,
Martin