PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers - ambiguity issues

Tue May 15 21:38:22 EDT 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007 10:44:37 -0700, John Nagle wrote:

> We have to have visually unique identifiers.

Well, Python has existed for years without such a requirement, so I think
"have to" is too strong a term.

Compare:

thisisareallylongbutcompletelylegalidentiferandnotvisuallyuniqueataglance

with

thisisareallylongbutcompletelylegalidentiferadnnotvisuallyuniqueataglance

I imagine, decades ago, people arguing against the introduction of long
identifiers because of the risk that their projects will be flooded with
Black Hats trying to slip one over them by using the vulnerability cause
by really long identifiers. I can just see people banging away on their
keyboard, swearing black and blue that identifiers of more than four
characters are completely unnecessary (who needs more than 450,000
variables in a program?) and will just cause the End Of Programming As We
Know It.

rn = m = None
IIl0 = IlIO = None

I'm sure that the Python community has zero sympathy for anyone
suggesting that Python should _enforce_ rules like "don't use a single l
as an identifier", even if they have complete sympathy with anybody who
has such a rule in their own projects.

--
Steven.