c[:]()

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu May 31 12:47:39 EDT 2007

On 2007-05-31, Warren Stringer <warren at muse.com> wrote:
>> How is it more expressive?  In the context you're concerned
>> with, c[:] is the exactly same thing as c.  You seem to be
>> worried about saving keystrokes, yet you use c[:] instead of c.
>>
>> It's like having an integer variable i and using ((i+0)*1)
>> instead of i.
>
> Nope, different.
>
> c[:] holds many behaviors that change dynamically.

I've absolutely no clue what that sentence means.  If c[:] does
behave differently than c, then somebody's done something
seriously weird and probably needs to be slapped around for
felonious overriding.

> So c[:]() -- or the more recent go(c)() -- executes all those
> behaviors.

Still no clue.

> This is very useful for many performers.

What are "performers"?

> The real world example that I'm working one is a collaborative
> visual music performance. So c can contain wrapped MIDI events
> or sequencer behaviors. c may get passed to a scheduler to
> execute those events, or c may get passed to a pickler to
> persist the performance.

I still don't see how c[:] is any different from c.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! TONY RANDALL!  Is YOUR
                                  at               life a PATIO of FUN??