Firefighters at the site of WTC7 "Move away the building is going to blow up, get back the building is going to blow up."

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Fri May 4 15:32:13 EDT 2007

default wrote:
> On Fri, 04 May 2007 03:26:17 -0700, James Stroud
> <jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu> wrote:
>
>> default wrote:

>>> Trying to understand the World Trade Center events is like waking up
>>> to act fifteen of a long Greek Tragedy. It needs a complex fabric of
>>> description to give a full picture. In explaining this crisis, we will
>>> be showing how the situation rests on layers of historical
>>> developments, layers of crises and solutions.
>>>
>>> shamelessly taken from:
>>> http://www.againstsleepandnightmare.com/ASAN/ASAN7/ASAN7.html
>>>
>>> The World After September 11th, 2001
<clip>

>>> Damn good read.
 >
>> Marxist trash.
>
> We've been conditioned to think in those terms and the web site is
> communist.  The philosophy of communism isn't so bad, it is the people
> and application that are the problem.
>
> Capitalism works right out of the box then begins to fray and
> deteriorate - again due to people and application.  Either system
> creates an elite class and poor class with little or no middle ground.
> Each system is, ultimately, a failure.
>
> I'm not advocating either system, both are flawed as long as people
> can gain and hold power.  Somewhere in there is a solution to the
> problems - I wouldn't presume to know the right course.

The Marxist contribution to western thought is that it put everything in
terms of labor and thus allowed us to quantify the human component of
economies. Though insightful, these insights were made 100 years ago and
are really only helpful in a sociological context. To attempt to turn
Marxist philosophy and insight into an economic policy is flawed because
economies are driven by greed. No policy will eliminate the greed, so it
is better to make policies that allow competition for resources (even
labor) fair. Marxism consolidates economic power into the hands of
government officials, who are the most greedy, and thus it ends up
siphoning wealth from the laborers who produce it in total contradiction
to its goals. That has been shown to be the reality despite the ideology.

Yes, the current global economic model is based on fascism, which is
unfortunate, but Marxism and the communism that arises from it are not
better alternatives--so it is better to identify Marxist economics as
the trash it is than to allow the unwitting to get confused about how
the greedy would end up applying it.

James