List Moderator

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sun May 20 16:30:50 EDT 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 19/05/07, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
[...]
>> The Python list managers know what they are doing, and they *do* keep a
>> huge amount of spam off the list. The occasional piece gets through, but
>> this is Usenet. It will, from time to time.
>>

> Again, I appreciate the efforts made to reduce spam on the list of
> course. It's obvious that much effort is being put into it. The
> procmail filters that I'm referring to would be right before the mail
> gets handed to sendmail. I read this list as a mailing list, and I'm
> unfamiliar with the different interfaces. But it all goes through a
> central point from which is it diseminated. Right before that point is
> where I'd imagine the filters are. They do exist, no?

It doesn't all go through a central point - users like me who use a news
server to access the list submit articles through a local news server
using NNTP. While there *is* a single point of access for articles
pulled from python.org's news server and gatewayed out as email (and for
which the filters you mention probably ought to help), articles I see
have never been processed by this interface.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119