import conflict

Stefan Sonnenberg-Carstens stefan.sonnenberg at pythonmeister.com
Sun May 6 23:32:21 EDT 2007

rplzqx402 at sneakemail.com schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem where I need to set up two separate Python projects
> that each live under the same package.  Once they are distributed,
> they will live under the same filesystem path, but during development,
> they are separated.
>
> For example:
>    proj1/lib/pkg/foo/mod1.py
>    proj2/lib/pkg/bar/mod2.py
>
> Furthermore, proj1 is dependent on proj2, so I want to be able to say
> things like this, from within proj1:
>
> import pkg.foo.mod1
> import pkg.bar.mod2
>
> Of course this doesn't work, even with a PYTHONPATH configured to see
> both projects, because it will find 'pkg' in proj1/lib and so pkg.bar
> will be hidden from view.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!

Hi,
my only suggestion would be to overthink your project organization.
You can surely solve that problem with symlinks, but if they depend
on another, perhaps the structure is not optimal.
If you use python 2.5 you can try absolute imports (which I personally
find not so well):

from __future__ import absolute_import

See here: http://python.mirrors-r-us.net/dev/peps/pep-0328/

Cheers,