PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu May 17 17:29:56 EDT 2007

Istvan Albert wrote:
> On May 17, 9:07 am, "Martin v. Löwis" <mar... at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>
>> up. I interviewed about 20 programmers (none of them Python users), and
>> most took the position "I might not use it myself, but it surely
>> can't hurt having it, and there surely are people who would use it".
>
> Typically when you ask people about esoteric features that seemingly
> don't affect them but might be useful to someone, the majority will
> say yes. Its simply common courtesy, its is not like they have to do
> anything.
>
> At the same time it takes some mental effort to analyze and understand
> all the implications of a feature, and without taking that effort
> "something" will always beat "nothing".

Indeed. For example, getattr() and friends now have to accept Unicode
arguments, and presumably to canonicalize correctly to avoid errors, and
treat equivalent Unicode and ASCII names as the same (question: if two
strings compare equal, do they refer to the same name in a namespace?).

> After the first time that your programmer friends need fix a trivial
> bug in a piece of code that does not display correctly in the terminal
> I can assure you that their mellow acceptance will turn to something
> entirely different.

And pretty quickly, too.  If anyone but Martin were the author of the
PEP I'd have serious doubts, but if he thinks it's worth proposing
there's at least a chance that it will eventually be implemented.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119