Python and GUI

Petr Muller pmuller at redhat.com
Mon May 21 12:23:18 EDT 2007

sdoty044 at gmail.com wrote:
> Just wondering on what peoples opinions are of the GUIs avaiable for
> Python?
>
> All I am doing is prompting users for some data (listbox, radio
> buttons, text box, ect...).  Then I will have some text output, maybe
> a scrolling text message as things are happening.
>
> I have some minor things I need to do, for example, if Checkbutton X
> is clicked, I need to disable TextBox Y, and I would like to display
> the scrolling text (output)
>
> Ultimately, is it worth downloading and learning some of the packages
> avaiable for Python, or should I just stick to the Tkinter stuff that
> is included.
>
> More specifically, has anyone used the Qt stuff for python, easy to
> use?

There's PyQt thingy, imho very good and easy to learn/use, but still
powerful. I've used it for a small gui-oriented project with almost no
problems and it worked like a charm. However, sometimes I had troubles
finding useful documentation for it.
I've also tried to play with PyGTK, it's quite nice and easy (and you
have the advantage of Glade), but I don't like GTK way of creating GUI.
I haven't used Tkinter a lot, only looked at it. And I didn't like it much.

I would really suggest PyQt. (with a big IMHO :)

Petr