Periodic tasks.

Ramashish Baranwal ramashish.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 29 06:43:11 EDT 2007

> > I am trying to execute some tasks periodically, those familiar with
> > unix can think of it as equivalent to cron jobs.
>
> Can you not use cron? If not, why not? Is there an equivalent service
> you can use?

I can, but the work I want to do is written in Python. This is not an
issue but I would have more than one such tasks running at different
periods and it will be desirable to control or monitor all of them
from a single process. If I use cron, all of them will execute
independently.

> > I have tried looking around, but couldn't find a way.
>
> Using the services provided by the operating system would be far
> preferable to re-inventing a scheduler service.

Agreed, but my requirement is a little different. There is a TaskKit
package (http://webware.sourceforge.net/Webware-0.7/TaskKit/Docs/
QuickStart.html) that has such a scheduler. Does anyone have any
experience with it?

Ram