PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Christophe chris.cavalaria at free.fr
Tue May 15 11:31:54 EDT 2007

Stefan Behnel a écrit :
> George Sakkis wrote:
>> After 175 replies (and counting), the only thing that is clear is the
>> controversy around this PEP. Most people are very strong for or
>> against it, with little middle ground in between. I'm not saying that
>> every change must meet 100% acceptance, but here there is definitely a
>> strong opposition to it. Accepting this PEP would upset lots of people
>> as it seems, and it's interesting that quite a few are not even native
>> english speakers.
>
> But the positions are clear, I think.
>
> Open-Source people are against it, as they expect hassle with people sending
> in code or code being lost as it can't go public as-is.

I'm an Open-Source guy too but I'm for that proposal. Anyway, this is a
bad argument as was show already. When accepting code in a project, you
already HAVE to make some rule as to how the code is writen, and 99% of
the time those rules include "All identifiers in correct english (or
rather, american) and all comments in english". Recieving a patch
containing identifiers you cannot read is simple enouth to reject.