A few questions

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Mon May 21 13:38:22 EDT 2007

jay wrote:

> 3.  Currently, I write most of my code with Xcode (on the Mac platform)
> using Applescript.  This gives me GUI capabilities.  Is there anything
> you'd recommend that I could use for Python that would give me a GUI
> interface?

PyObjC allows you to write Cocoa GUI's from Python using Xcode and
Interface Builder, much as AppleScript Studio does. However, that's not
a cross-platform solution.

Tkinter runs on Windows as well as OS X. Out-of-the-box, however,
Tkinter is somewhat limited. To build rich GUI's with Tkinter, you will
need to install several additional Tk libraries and their associated
Python wrappers. Tkinter is my toolkit of choice, and I've released a
Python shareware application on OS X that uses it: see
http://www.codebykevin.com/phynchronicity-running.png for a screenshot.

wxPython is also a very reasonable solution, and will probably give you
more out of the box than Tkinter.  My main reason for using Tk is that I
already know it well.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin