PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

HYRY ruoyu0088 at gmail.com
Tue May 15 06:49:43 EDT 2007

> - should non-ASCII identifiers be supported? why?
Yes. I want this for years. I am Chinese, and teaching some 12 years
old children learning programming. The biggest problem is we cannot
use Chinese words for the identifiers. As the program source becomes
longer, they always lost their thought about the program logic.

English keywords and libraries is not the problem, because we only use
about 30 - 50 of these words for teaching programming idea. They can
remember these words in one week. But for the name of variable or
function, it is difficult to remember all the English word. For
example, when we are doing numbers, maybe these words: [odd, even,
prime, minus ...], when we are programming for drawing: [line, circle,
pixel, ...], when it's for GUI: [ button, event, menu...]. There are
so many words that they cannot just remeber and use these words to
explain there idea.

Eventlly, when these children go to high school and study enough
English, I think they can use English words for programming. But as
the beginning step, it is difficult to learn both  programming and
English.

So, I made a little program, just replace all the Chinese words in the
program to some sequency identifiers such as [a1, a2, a3, ...], So we
can do programming in Chinese, and Python can still run it.

If non-ASCII identifiers becomes true, I think it will be the best
gift for Children who donot know English.