ten small Python programs

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Sun May 27 02:30:37 EDT 2007

--- Steven D'Aprano
<steve at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:

> On Sat, 26 May 2007 18:48:45 -0700, Steve Howell
> wrote:
>
> > It also has a ComplexNumber class, but I don't
> want to
> > scare away mathphobes.
>
> Is it as short as this one-liner?
>
> ComplexNumber = complex

The "It" above refers to *the* Python Tutorial,
written by Guido van Rossum.  Here is an excerpt:

>>> class Complex:
...     def __init__(self, realpart, imagpart):
...         self.r = realpart
...         self.i = imagpart
>>> x = Complex(3.0, -4.5)
>>> x.r, x.i
(3.0, -4.5)

Obviously, it's not surprising that a useful class in
a tutorial would have a corresponding implementation
in the standard library, but I'm not sure newbies
would learn much about classes from this statement:

    ComplexNumber = complex