Microsoft's Dynamic Languages Runtime (DLR)

Ken Tilton ken at theoryyalgebra.com
Wed May 2 18:33:13 EDT 2007

kyosohma at gmail.com wrote:
> On May 2, 1:22 pm, sturlamolden <sturlamol... at yahoo.no> wrote:
>
>>On Monday Microsoft announced a new runtime for dynamic languages,
>>which they call "DLR". It sits on top of the conventional .NET runtime
>>(CLR)  and provides services for dynamically typed languages like
>>Python or Lisp (thus the cross-posting). Apparently is is distributed
>>under a BSD-like open-source license.
>>
>>I am curious to know how it performs in comparison to CPython and an
>>efficient compiled Lisp like CMUCL. Speed is a major problem with
>>CPython but not with .NET or CMUCL, so it will be interesting to see
>>how the DLR performs in comparison. It would be great to finally see a
>>Python that runs on steroids, but knowing M$ bloatware my expectations
>>are not too high.
>>
>>Has anyone looked at the DLR yet? What are your impression?
>>
>>Jim Hugunin har written about the DLR in his blog:
>>
>>http://blogs.msdn.com/hugunin/
>>
>>To cite one of the comments: "Fuck this microsoft bollocks! You just
>>stole the Lisp runtime ideas and fucked them up by stupid it salesman
>>lingo." (Khrishna)
>>
>>Sturla Molden
>

> I realize this is a stupid question, but why did you cite the most
> offensive comment to this blog post? Most of them were positive.

Yes, but everybody hates Microsoft, so there ya go. Anyway, here is the
real question: "thin layer"? I wonder then if anything has changed since:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/browse_thread/thread/2f9759fa3e8877eb/2b11ecfdc4a15fb4?q=rettig+clr&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fq%3Drettig+clr%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26c2coff%3D1%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&&d#2b11ecfdc4a15fb4

Anyway, doesn't matter, just fun to see MS running up the white flag
after their ballsy attempt to get CL to do the same at ILC 2005.

kt

--
http://www.theoryyalgebra.com/

"Algebra is the metaphysics of arithmetic." - John Ray

"As long as algebra is taught in school,
there will be prayer in school." - Cokie Roberts

"Stand firm in your refusal to remain conscious during algebra."
    - Fran Lebowitz

"I'm an algebra liar. I figure two good lies make a positive."
    - Tim Allen