Responding to Trolls [was Re: ignorance and intolerance in computing communties]

Steven D'Aprano steve at REMOVEME.cybersource.com.au
Thu May 3 00:54:21 EDT 2007

On Wed, 02 May 2007 21:23:13 -0700, James Stroud wrote:

> Xah Lee wrote:
>> Today, a motherfucker Christophe Rhodes (aka Xof in irc://chat.freenode.net/lisp
>> ) kicked banned me.
>
> Are you aware that you are a troll? Have you considered that this has
> anything to do with your being kick-banned? Why do 99.999999 % of the
> people on the web not get treated like you? Answer: you are a troll and
> they are not.

Sometimes I dream of a world, a wonderful, far away world, where nobody
was allowed to post to Usenet until they can correctly answer the
following multiple-choice question:

Q Verbally abusing trolls ...
1. gives them the attention they crave
2. fails to discourage their trollish behaviour
3. annoys the people who otherwise wouldn't have seen the troll's post
4. all of the above

--
Steven D'Aprano