PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Eric Brunel see.signature at no.spam
Tue May 15 10:23:15 EDT 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007 15:57:32 +0200, Stefan Behnel
<stefan.behnel-n05pAM at web.de> wrote:
> George Sakkis wrote:
>> After 175 replies (and counting), the only thing that is clear is the
>> controversy around this PEP. Most people are very strong for or
>> against it, with little middle ground in between. I'm not saying that
>> every change must meet 100% acceptance, but here there is definitely a
>> strong opposition to it. Accepting this PEP would upset lots of people
>> as it seems, and it's interesting that quite a few are not even native
>> english speakers.
>
> But the positions are clear, I think.
>
> Open-Source people are against it, as they expect hassle with people
> sending
> in code or code being lost as it can't go public as-is.
>
> Teachers are for it as they see the advantage of having children express
> concepts in their native language.
>
> In-house developers are rather for this PEP as they see the advantage of
> expressing concepts in the way the "non-techies" talk about it.

No: I *am* an "in-house" developer. The argument is not public/open-source
against private/industrial. As I said in some of my earlier posts, any
code can pass through many people in its life, people not having the same
language. I dare to say that starting a project today in any other
language than english is almost irresponsible: the chances that it will
get at least read by people not talking the same language as the original
coders are very close to 100%, even if it always stays "private".
'U(17zX(%,5.zmz5(17l8(%,5.Z*(93-965$l7+-'])"