PEP 3131: Ascii-English is like coca-cola!

Pierre Hanser hanser at club-internet.fr
Mon May 14 12:54:57 EDT 2007

This pep is not technical, or at least not only. It has
larger implications about society model we want.

Let me explain with an analogy:
let's compare 'ascii english' to coca-cola.

It's available nearly everywhere.

It does not taste good at first try, and is especially
repulsive to young children.

It's cheap and you don't expect much of it.

You know you can drink some in case of real need.

It's imperialist connotation is widely accepted(?)

But it's not good as your favorite beverage, beer, wine, ...

The world is full of other possibilities. Think, in case
of necessity you could even have to drink tea with yack
butter in himalaya! in normal circonstances, you should
never see any, but in extreme situation you may have to!

Were is freedom in such a world you could only drink coca?

I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO DRINK COCA AT HOME ALL THE TIME.

and this pep is a glorious occasion to get free from it.

[disclaimer: coca is used here as the generic name it became,
and no real offense is intended]

--
	Pierre