tkinter button state = DISABLED

Eric Brunel see.signature at no.spam
Fri May 18 03:15:11 EDT 2007

On Thu, 17 May 2007 09:30:57 +0200, Hendrik van Rooyen
<mail at microcorp.co.za> wrote:
>  "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
>> En Wed, 16 May 2007 03:22:17 -0300, Hendrik van Rooyen
>>> I have never seen this working in Tkinter, unless the button was
>>> pressed
>>> on the
>>> widget
>>> in question - and worse, once you have clicked down on a ButtonRelease
>>> binding
>>> you can move the mouse pointer anywhere you like, even out of the
>>> application
>>> and when you release it, the bound function is called...
>>>
>>> Its either a bug or a feature, I don't know.
>>
>> Uhmm... I'm not sure I understand you completely. I only said that the
>> "command" is fired only when the mouse button is pressed on the widget,
>> AND released inside the same widget. If both events don't happen in the
>> same widget, "command" won't fire. Maybe you are saying the same
>> thing...
>> anyway I'm not a Tk expert.
>
> No command is ok and you have described it right - its ButtonRelease that
> seems broken to me

Apparently, this behaviour is the intended one, at least for buttons; see:
http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.4/TkCmd/bind.htm#M11

As for the question "why?", maybe you should ask it on the c.l.tcl
newsgroup?
'U(17zX(%,5.zmz5(17l8(%,5.Z*(93-965$l7+-'])"