c[:]()

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Thu May 31 19:53:05 EDT 2007

Warren Stringer wrote:

> I'm still a bit new at this, was wondering why c[:]() doesn't work, and
> implicitly wondering why it *shouldn't* work.

It does work.  It means "make a sliced copy of `c`, and then call it
with no arguments."  Functionally that is _no different_ from `c()`,
which means "take `c` and call it with no arguments," because presuming
`c` is a list, `c[:]` makes a shallow copy.

So if you think `c()` and `c[:]()` should do something different in this
case, you are profoundly confused about Python's semantics of what
objects are, what it means to shallow copy a list, and what it means to
make a function call.  That you keep including the slice suggests that
there's something about its meaning that's not yet clicking.

If you really want syntax where a function call on a container calls all
of its elements, then that is trivially easy to do by creating such an
object and overriding its `__call__` method.

If you're not willing to do that, but still insisting that `c[:]()`
makes sense, then perhaps it would be more advisable to learn more about
Python rather than try to suggest profound changes to the language and
its conventions.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis
   The quality, not the longevity, of one's life is what is important.
    -- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.