questions about programming styles

fdu.xiaojf at gmail.com fdu.xiaojf at gmail.com
Tue May 22 03:19:05 EDT 2007

Wildemar Wildenburger wrote:
> fdu.xiaojf at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Thanks a lot for all kind replies!
>>
>> I think I need a systematic learning of design patterns. I have found
>> some tutorials
>> about design pattern about python, but can somebody point me which is
>> the best to start with ?
>>

> When you say "Design Patterns", what do you mean? Do you mean it in the
> computer-science-vocabulary-sense, as in [Singleton, Observer, Template,
> ...]? If you're a novice or hobby programmer, let me tell you this:
> Don't. Or at least: Don't, yet. Design patterns are meant to solve
> problems that you run into relatively often, but don't let that trick
> you: You have to get some intuition about them, or they'll make
> virtually no sense to you. They're not guide as to how to write
> programs. They help you overcome these "little obstacles" that you
> commonly run into. But if you really must know: Wikipedia is a good
> start (duh! ;)).
>

> If you mean the term in a looser sense, like how to approach
> programming, when to use what idiom, etc ...: Don't read too much, just
> write code, see if it works and if it doesn't, be creative. If it still
> doesn't work, ask. Like you did. Don't bother with theory all too long;
> you will understand programming concepts much more easily when you're
> "in it". And for the light stuff, like the Idea behind OO (classes,
> methods, etc.), Wikipedia is always good enough.
>
> :)

Thanks. I think what I actually want to learn is design pattern in a
looser sense, not in the computer-science-vocabulary-sense.

I'm a graduate student in science, and python is my favourite programming
language in daily work. I can solve most of the problems with python, but
my programming efficienct is really low. Somethimes I have to stop to think
 about when to use what idiom, such as when to use functions and when to
use methods.

I want to learn how to write better programs more effectively and more
efficiently. I will try to have a look at the wikipedia.

Thanks again for your kind suggestion :)

Regards,

xiaojf