Is PEP-8 a Code or More of a Guideline?

Maric Michaud maric at aristote.info
Tue May 29 10:27:45 EDT 2007

Steve Howell a écrit :
> --- Carsten Haese <carsten at uniqsys.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2007-05-27 at 07:30 +0000, OKB (not
>> okblacke) wrote:
>>>     	Underscores are harder to type than any
>> alphanumeric character.
>>
>> This is a discussion about underscores versus
>> capital letters denoting
>> the word boundaries in identifiers. How is an
>> underscore harder to type
>> than a capital letter?
>>

> longer reach with the pinkie on American keyboards
>
> Slowly type the following two keywords, you'll see
> what I mean:
>
> hop_count
> hopCount
>
> Also note the number of characters.

While this point was certainly discussed by those who wrote the PEP 8, I
see hardly how it can be a valid argument. I used two keyboard maps in
my life for development, fr_FR and fr_CH, in fr_CH both '.' and the pair
'[', ']' are really more easy to type, and I think they appear at least
as often as '_'. All in all, I never felt more productive with any
keyboard, but, of course, I'm not a typist.

Is typist ok ? It's the google's translation for "dactylo".