Python compared to other language

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri May 18 22:28:19 EDT 2007

walterbyrd wrote:
> On May 18, 2:17 pm, Larry Bates <larry.ba... at websafe.com> wrote:
>
>> Python is Portable - C is probably the only more portable language
>
> Small quibble: IMO, although C runs on many platforms, I don't think C
> code is typically portable between platorms. Unless you are doing
> something very simple. If you write something with Visual Studio to do
> something fairly advanced on Windows, I don't think the same,
> unmodified, code will usually run on UNIX, or MS-DOS. Maybe if you use
> pure ANSI C, but I don't think many people do that.

Surely the fact that Python is available on so many platforms implies
that C is a fairly portable language. I realise that you have to take
platform specifics into account much more than you do in Python, but I
do feel you are being somewhat unfair to C.

> I'm just learning Python. FWIW: my opinions about Python:
[ ... ]

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119