Python compared to other language

walterbyrd walterbyrd at iname.com
Sat May 19 12:19:09 EDT 2007

On May 19, 9:36 am, a... at mac.com (Alex Martelli) wrote:

> From these numbers it would seem that Ruby (and PHP) aren't really more
> web-specific than Perl (and Python).

Excellent find, nice work. However, if it is found that there are "X"
many PHP programs running payroll applications, does that mean that
those PHP programs are *not* web applications? I don't think that it
does.

I was surprised to see Ruby in the same catagory as Perl and Python,
when it  came to Scientific apps. I always thought of Ruby as being
used for database oriented web-based stuff. Just goes to show what I
don't know.

I can tell you this much for sure: when it comes to UNIX system
scripting, Perl is the leader, with Python as a solid second. Unless,
maybe, you count bash & bourne, which I don't because those are not
multi-purpose languages.