Is PEP-8 a Code or More of a Guideline?

sjdevnull at yahoo.com sjdevnull at yahoo.com
Tue May 29 17:18:01 EDT 2007

On May 29, 3:22 pm, "Eric S. Johansson" <e... at harvee.org> wrote:
> Warren Stringer wrote:
> > Hi Eric,
>
> > You make a compelling argument for underscores. I sometimes help a visually
> > impaired friend with setting up his computers.
>
> > I'm wondering about the aural output to you second example:
>
> > link.set_parse_action(emit_link_HTML)
>
> > Does it sound like this:
>
> unfortunately, I do not have text to speech set up on this machine as I'm saving
> the storage for more MP3s.  :-)
>
> > link dot set under parse under action space between parens emit under link
> > under HTML jump out
>
> it would probably say underscore instead of under and left ( and  right ) (too
> much work is make it spell out the symbol).
>

> > Also, does how HTML read? Is it "H T M L" or "cap H cap T cap M cap L" ?
>
> probably HTML.  Remember case is not apparent in an aural interface.

I don't do text-to-speech at all, but I do often have someone ask
"what's the method for blah?" and case is important there.

In such cases, I'd say "lowercase emit underscore link underscore all
caps H T M L".

For emitLinkHTML it'd be "lowercase emit capital-L link all-caps H T M
L".
For emitLinkHtml it'd be "lowercase emit capital-L link capital-H H T
M L".

FWIW, even though I think proper-case-with-seperators is greatly
preferrable to camelCase, I certainly don't think that speaking the
names is a really major point.