PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

René Fleschenberg rene at korteklippe.de
Tue May 15 09:34:26 EDT 2007

Thorsten Kampe schrieb:
> No, if you claim that something by itself is good and has to be
> encouraged then you are obliged to prove or give arguments for that.

That would be well outside the scope of this newsgroup, and if you
cannot see the reaons for this yourself, I am afraid that I won't be
able to convince you anyway.

> Exactly. So whether this PEP encourages or discourages code sharing
> (and I don't think it does either) has nothing to do with the value of
> this PEP.

That completely depends on how you look at code-sharing. My impression
always was that the Python community in general does regard code-sharing
as A Good Thing. It is not as if we were talking about forcing people to
share code. Just about creating/keeping an environment that makes this
easily possible and encourages it. That *is* something I regard as good
and which therefore, for me, forms an argument against this PEP --
wether you share that opinion or not.

--
René