wxpython demo error on debian etch

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Tue May 29 14:09:14 EDT 2007

On May 29, 12:33 pm, BartlebyScrivener <bscrivene... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 29, 8:51 am, kyoso... at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > The wxPython
> > website details how to get the latest version of wxPython (2.8.4)
>
> I'm fairly new to Linux, so I probably shouldn't mess with my stable
> Etch.
>
> I'll make do with this version of wxPython or go back to puzzling over
> Tkinter.
>
> Thanks,
>
> rick

The newer versions of wxPython won't make your Debian crash or
anything. We run Debian at work and I've upgraded the Python to 2.4
and the wxPython to its newest version. This has not affected the
server's stability in any way.

This link explains the process the Debian team takes to implement new
versions of packages (like wxPython): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian

Basically, they test it for months before finally putting it in to the
"stable" category. However, since they have to do this for lots of
packages, one by one the packages get marked stable. So you could have
something like wxPython marked stable in March and 6 months later, the
rest of the packages are done so they're marked stable. And then after
additional testing, they release the new version.

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing.

Mike