PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Istvan Albert istvan.albert at gmail.com
Thu May 17 13:43:19 EDT 2007

On May 17, 9:07 am, "Martin v. Löwis" <mar... at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> up. I interviewed about 20 programmers (none of them Python users), and
> most took the position "I might not use it myself, but it surely
> can't hurt having it, and there surely are people who would use it".

Typically when you ask people about esoteric features that seemingly
don't affect them but might be useful to someone, the majority will
say yes. Its simply common courtesy, its is not like they have to do
anything.

At the same time it takes some mental effort to analyze and understand
all the implications of a feature, and without taking that effort
"something" will always beat "nothing".

After the first time that your programmer friends need fix a trivial
bug in a piece of code that does not display correctly in the terminal
I can assure you that their mellow acceptance will turn to something
entirely different.

i.