How to parse usenet urls?

Nikita the Spider NikitaTheSpider at gmail.com
Thu May 31 11:44:12 EDT 2007

In article <1180581992.342613.302370 at k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
 "snewman18 at gmail.com" <snewman18 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Are you aware of nntplib?
> >
> > http://docs.python.org/lib/module-nntplib.html
>
> I am, but I once I got into the article itself, I couldn't figure out
> how to "call" a link inside the resulting message text:

> How can I take the message link 'news://newsclip.ap.org/
> D8PE2G6O0 at news.ap.org' and follow it?

OK, gotcha. I misunderstood your original question. Perhaps this is just
a synonym for "nntp:"? THis sounds like a dangerous assumption and
hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along and shoot me down.
=) But when I fire up Ethereal and paste that news: URL into my browser,
Firefox launches my newsreader client and Ethereal reports that my
client connects to the remote server at the NNTP port (119), sends an
NNTP LIST command and Ethereal identifies the subsequent conversation as
NNTP.

If I were you I'd try handling news: URLs with nttplib. I bet it will
work.

Sorry I couldn't provide more than guesses. Good luck!

--
Philip
http://NikitaTheSpider.com/