Newbie look at Python and OO

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri May 11 10:45:30 EDT 2007

On 2007-05-10, Gabriel Genellina <gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> En Thu, 10 May 2007 18:21:42 -0300, <half.italian at gmail.com> escribió:
>
>> These conversations are funny to me.  I use Python every day and I
>> have never actually thought about the implications of binding objects
>> to names, or two names pointing to the same object.  Problems of this
>> sort just never come up in actual programming for me.  It just works.
>>
>> Python was my virgin language, so maybe that just makes it natural to
>> me, but it seems like people coming from other languages get hung up
>> on testing out the differences and theories rather than just
>> programming in it.  Alas, maybe I have yet to get deep enough to run
>> into these kinds of problems.
>
> Certainly, learning Python as a first language has some
> advantages. But I think you'd feel a bit shocked if you had to
> program in C++ someday; these rather innocent lines might not
> do what you think:
[...]
> Simple things have so complex and ugly rules that... ugh, enough for now.

http://www.ariel.com.au/jokes/An_Interview_with_Bjarne_Stroustrup.html

Maybe BS thought he was joking, but IMO, it's true.

  "Stroustrup: Remember the length of the average-sized 'C'
   project? About 6 months. Not nearly long enough for a guy
   with a wife and kids to earn enough to have a decent
   standard of living. Take the same project, design it in C++
   and what do you get? I'll tell you. One to two years."

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I know how to do
                                  at               SPECIAL EFFECTS!!