PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Stefan Behnel stefan.behnel-n05pAM at web.de
Wed May 16 03:59:46 EDT 2007

René Fleschenberg wrote:
> rurpy at yahoo.com schrieb:
>> I'm not sure how you conclude that no problem exists.
>> - Meaningful identifiers are critical in creating good code.
>
> I agree.
>
>> - Non-english speakers can not create or understand
>>   english identifiers hence can't create good code nor
>>   easily grok existing code.
>
> I agree that this is a problem, but please understand that is problem is
> _not_ solved by allowing non-ASCII identifiers!

Well, as I said before, there are three major differences between the stdlib
and keywords on one hand and identifiers on the other hand. Ignoring arguments
does not make them any less true.

So, the problem is partly tackled by the people who face it by writing
degenerated transliterations and language mix in identifiers, but it would be
*solved* by means of the language if Unicode identifiers were available.

Stefan