Error when using Custom Exception defined in a different python module.

Rob Williscroft rtw at freenet.co.uk
Sun May 6 14:23:11 EDT 2007

 wrote in news:1178475284.092656.103710 at e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com in
comp.lang.python:

> Hi,
>
> I am hitting this error consistently and don't know why it's
> happening. I would like to define all exceptions for my project in one
> file and use them across the project. Here's a sample -
>
> exceptions.py -

> from exceptions import *

>              raise MyException("Raise custom error")
>
> When the above is run, I get the following error -
> NameError: global name 'MyException' is not defined

When you get this kind of error, goto a python prompt
(type python at a command prompt, or click on IDLE)
and try this:

>>> import exceptions
>>> help( exceptions )

I got this response (clipped):

Help on built-in module exceptions:

NAME
    exceptions - Python's standard exception class hierarchy.

Another common module name to avoid is "test".

Rob.
--
http://www.victim-prime.dsl.pipex.com/