ten small Python programs

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Sun May 27 11:36:28 EDT 2007

--- BartlebyScrivener <bscrivener42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> For the person new to programming (doesn't come from
> C or other
> languages), I think you need to add a separate
> explanation of string
> formatting and how it works, or at least add a
> comment that tells them
> you are using string formatting so that they can
> search and find out
> how it works. If your aim is to teach simple
> programming concepts, why
> confuse them so early on with fancy interpolation?

It's a thought provoking question, and I think my aim
here is not exactly to teach simple programming
concepts, but more to expose people to what Python
looks like.  I'm not really intending this page to be
a tutorial, as several good tutorials already exist.

I'm really targeting a particular niche of people.
There are folks that know how to program, but don't
know anything about Python, and they really just want
to see a bunch of small examples all in one place,
without a lot of explanation cluttering their
presentation.

That may sound like I'm narrowing my audience too
much, but I do think it's a niche group that's not
adequately addressed.

I do hope, though, that folks more in a teaching role
can reuse the examples, add better explanation, etc.,
as needed.

Also, I wouldn't mind at all to add a little link
called "Read more..." after each example.